Freedom Rides Links
Here are a number of links to items related to my experiences, including publications, images, interviews, and a PowerPoint presentations I have produced and delivered.
- Here is a two-part podcast, hosted by Jerry Springer, in which we explored the songs which sustained Freedom Riders when we were imprisoned in Parchman Penitentiary. Part One. Part Two
- Here is a video of a Public Television interview from WCET, hosted by Barbara Keller of my participation in the freedom rides.
- A pamphlet of a selection of songs sung in the Maximum Security Unit, Parchman Penitentiary, Mississippi, 1961. I have used this pamphlet to teach songs to groups.
- YouTube list of Songs Sung by Freedom Riders, Parchman Penitentiary
- Flyer promoting European Tour, March 2015: I delivered talks in Europe on the history of the Freedom Rides in the Southern US, and my participation in them.
- Freedom_Rides_Centre_College_18Jan2018, Presented 18 January 2018 at Centre College, Danville KY.
- Here is a link to an audio archive from the radio station WVXU FM 91.7 of an interview I granted on 24 August 2017 on “Cincinnati edition”
- Here is a PowerPoint presentation (PPT) given at the Eli Coffin Historic Site in Fountain City, Indiana on the continuity of the use of civil disobedience in the anti-slavery movement, the Underground Railroad (which violated the law when it aided escaped slaves), and the Freedom Rides. Freedom_Rides_Fountain_City_13April2018
- Here is a PPT presented to the Earlham College Department of Social Justice on the role of Civil Disobedience in the establishment of Quakerism in an atmosphere of religious repression. Quakers were prominent in using civil disobedience in promoting anti-slavery, women’s suffrage, and the Civil Rights movement. Freedom_Rides_Earlham_14April2018
- Here is a PPT on Civil Disobedience from Early Quaker history to the Freedom Rides. I created it for and presented to a coalition of three Quaker Meetings in Cincinnati. Civil Disobedience_10Nov2018
- Here is a PDF of the PPT I presented to Anderson Hills United Methodist Church, 20 May 2019.Freedom_Rides_Anderson_20May2019
Freedom Ride “Chapters”
Please excuse the fact that these chapters are not in chronological sequence. These pages have been transferred over from my original website, and I am still learning the ropes on wordpress.
50th Year Reunion of Freedom Riders, Photos
I have been called to task (correctly, I might add) for not always crediting the photographers who have taken these images of the Freedom Rides. I am eager to give credit to these individuals; if you happen to know who took the pictures I have posted, please contact me.